My latest installment of Vegan MoFo recipes comes from Recipezaar's #351925. First of all, I love that the recipe title actually includes the word "gingerey." I think that's adorable. Of the vegan recipes I've tested out this month, this one has been my favorite. It's filling and delicious, and I think it could easily be adapted to suit your personal tastes.
You will need:
- 1 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 medium bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger root
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2-15 oz cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp minced parsley leaves
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat and add onion and pepper. Cook and stir until they begin to brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic, ginger, and cumin; cook and stir one minute.
- Pour in the vinegar and undrained tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in the chickpeas, turn heat down to low, and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, add in the parsley, and serve.
When I make this again (and I will), I want to add some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. I'd also pay more attention to the amount of ginger I used; I don't think I used a full two tablespoons because I couldn't really taste it. I think this dish would benefit from some grated lemon zest at the end, but I didn't have any lemons. I'd also love to try this over jasmine rice. This one's a keeper!
And one final benefit: Holy frugality! At less than a dollar a serving, you can't do much better than this, kids!
**Update from 12/9/09: I made this again tonight, this time adding in some red pepper flakes and some lemon juice. Both additions were delicious! I served the dish over jasmine rice this time, which we also enjoyed.